Thursday 28 December 2023

Autumn 2023 Part 3

 Migrant Arrival at Kilminning 24/10/23

We were blessed with regular east winds during autumn 2023 and not only that but my advance 'negotiations' for a day out in the E Neuk of Fife also worked out weather wise. With a fresh E wind blowing it was clear birds were coming in as I arrived at the top end of Kilminning with some very tired looking Blackbirds and Blackcaps drinking from puddles on the road.

There were plenty of thrushes about and when I got down to Lower Kilminning two Waxwings, my first in what would prove to be a good autumn for this lovely species. Then things stepped up a gear when I heard some 'tic' calls and picked up a Little Bunting flying off some bushes and low towards the old Crail airfield. Given how low it was flying I thought  I had a good chance of finding this bird again on the fields but no further sign. That said there is an awful lot of suitable habitat for a species like that all the way to Crail and beyond. 

After that an arrival of Common/Mealy Redpolls started, small numbers were coming in off the sea, pausing briefly and then heading off inland. I ended up with a total of 19, this influx was reflected nearby on the Isle of May where they had 55 on the same day. Two Black Redstarts finished off  very enjoyable day in the field.



Northern Bullfinches 

No doubt with similar origins to the Common Redpoll arrival, a small arrival of Northern Bullfinches was apparent in late October. I had four males at Ferry Hills on 23rd and then a very impressive pale female at Kinghorn on 25th. The Isle of May had its best ever arrival of Northerns at this time. 






No comments:

Post a Comment