Friday 22 July 2022

Late Spring and Summer

 Late May saw some more quality birds at my new patch at E Braes, Kinghorn topped by a very unexpected Temmincks Stint in off the Forth and north over the town on 21st! I picked up what I thought was a hirundine coming in off the sea but was actually a tiny wader. Given the size, it could only be a stint of some kind and I was able to nail the distinctive white outer tail feathers of a Temmincks through the scope as it flew low inland over the houses. It has to be one of my most unexpected vis mig records ever. 


Another cracking bird at E Braes was an adult Long-tailed Skua on 29th May that lingered offshore chasing Common Terns. A Roseate Tern was seen the same day, an interesting individual lacking tail streamers and showing hints of immaturity on upperwings. Probably the same bird was present on 12th June when these pics were taken: 


E Braes also produced a good local breeding record with Lesser Whitethroat seen feeding at least 2 fledged young. The species is very localised as a breeder in Fife but the coastal path between Kinghorn and Kirkcaldy is a hot spot. 

The second half of June saw return passage start at E Braes with included a second cal year Med Gull and the annual moult build up of Goosander. 


I have been elsewhere in Fife. Letham Pools has been in great shape this year with the low water levels producing lots of good passage waders. The obvious highlight so far was the discovery of a Pectoral Sandpiper and Fifes first White-rumped Sandpiper on 19th-20th July. I'm not blessed with much luck when I go twitching (which is rarely) but I got lucky on 20th when both the Pec and WRS flew in and landed close to me and were feeding together. 


Another highlight at Letham was a stunning adult Little Gull that over summered in the Black-headed Gull colony and has been returning for a few years. It flew around calling regularly, hoping to attract a mate but unfortunately it hasn't had any luck. 



My old patch of Ferry Hills has so far taken a bit of a back seat but it won't be neglected this autumn. I have already had the first Tree Pipits heading south...

No comments:

Post a Comment